Eerbeekse oliemolen – English

Eerbeekse oliemolen

The history of the watermill on the Eerbeekse Beek is closely linked to the House in Eerbeek. The oldest mention of the water mill in Eerbeek dates from 1395. In that year the “Huis te Eertbeeck” with possessions including the stream mill came into the hands of Vrederick van Bronchurst, one of the Lords of Bronkhorst.

In the nineteenth century, an oil mill was added to the flour mill. This oil mill from 1861 was in operation until 1917.

Oliemolens.nl - Eerbeekse oliemolen - Eerbeek

Beechnuts in the past

In the past, making oil from beechnuts in the Veluwe was an additional income for small farmers. The beech nut oil was used to fry pancakes and oliebollen (a typical Dutch delicacy). The residual product of the beechnuts was fed to livestock. It was seasonal work: the oil mill was only in operation a few months a year. Later it was discovered that toxins were released and the production of beechnut oil was stopped (1917).

Oliemolens.nl - Eerbeekse oliemolen - Eerbeek

The Eerbeek oil mill is back in operation

At the initiative of the province, Het Geldersch Landschap, Monumentenzorg and the  Waterschap Vallei en Veluwe, the restoration of the watermill started in 2007. The project was made possible by a subsidy from the European Community and donations from the initiators and the business community. The restored oil mill was put back into use in November 2007.

The oil mill has been leased/purchased by the Zadelhoff family for more than 100 years. The oil mill was recently transferred to Geldersch Landschap en Kasteelen so that the ensemble of estate and oil mill has been restored.

Oliemolens.nl - Eerbeekse oliemolen - Eerbeek

Information

Address
Kanaalweg 3
6961LW Eerbeek
The Netherlands

Website
Eerbeekse oliemolen