Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

De Bonte Hen – English

De Bonte Hen

Oil mill De Bonte Hen was probably built in 1693 on the spot where a sawmill named ‘t Hentje had previously stood. The mill still stands at that location on the Kalverringdijk on the Zaanse Schans.

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

From oil to cocoa

Since 1846, the Bonte Hen was owned by the company T. Crok from Koog aan de Zaan. Until 1912, the company used the mill as a test mill to determine how much oil a particular batch of seed contained. If the yield was sufficient, the batch was purchased and fully processed in the De Engel steam oil butchery. After 1912, the mill was rented out and mainly cocoa butter was minted.

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

In 1924 a diesel engine was installed in the mill and from 1927 the blades stopped working for good. The now dilapidated mill was demolished in 1935. The barn and basement remained and served as a warehouse. In 1973, the dilapidated mill barn and substructure were purchased by De Zaansche Molen. The Bonte Hen was then completely rebuilt and restored. The official commissioning followed in 1979.

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

This mill is currently open almost every day (slightly less in winter) and Jippe Kreuning is the head miller. He also has his sail making workshop in the attic of the barn. A beautiful craft.

Informatie

Address
Kalverringdijk 39
1509 BT Zaandam
The Netherlands

Website
De Zaansche Molen – De Bonte Hen

Oliemolens.nl-Watermolen 't Coll - Eindhoven

Water mill ‘t Coll – English

Water mill ‘t Coll

Watermill ‘t Coll is located on the Kleine Dommel, on the border between Eindhoven and Nuenen. Centuries of impoundment of the water by the millers has created a unique nature reserve upstream. The gradient at the mill is approximately 1 meter. The mill still has the  Molenrecht or stowage right.

Watermill ‘t Coll consists of two mill buildings, each with its own function, a flour mill and an oil mill. The first mentions of the water mill go back to the 14th century. The wooden furnishings of the flour mill have always been preserved. In 1977, the flour mill was put back into operation on the initiative of Piet van Bussel and his son Edwin.

Oliemolens.nl-Watermolen 't Coll - Eindhoven

Vincent van Gogh

The oil mill had lost its function for more than 100 years. The oil percussion has also disappeared. In 1999, the oil mill building was restored thanks to subsidies from the municipality of Eindhoven and the EU. The mill building was again equipped with a water wheel and a red roof. The oil mill was given the appearance as seen in the painting by Vincent van Gogh.

Oliemolens.nl-Watermolen 't Coll - Eindhoven

Disappeared horse mill in Vlaanderen

In 2003, after technical elaborations by P. van Bussel and various subsidies, an oil percussion unit could be installed again. The work was carried out by millwright Beijk. The edge stones and the stone of the deathbed come from a disappeared horse mill in Vlaanderen. Before the new oil hammering equipment could be installed, a large number of foundation piles were driven at the locations of the collet gangway and hammer bench.

Oliemolens.nl-Watermolen 't Coll - Eindhoven

Informatie

Address
Collseweg 3 – 5
5641JN Eindhoven (Tongelre)
The Netherlands

Website
Watermolen ‘t Coll

Oliemolens.nl - Windlust - Nederweert

De Windlust – English

Oliemolens.nl - Windlust - Nederweert

De Windlust

De windmill was founded in 1872 by Jacobus Bruekers in Nederweert, after which the mill successively fell into the hands of Martinus Bruekers from about 1880. The fact that this mill is still there, or rather, is standing again, is actually a miracle. On October 5, 1944, the mill was virtually destroyed after it was set on fire by a German shock troop. The remains of the interior were removed in 1947. What remained was a burnt out and damaged hull.

Nothing seemed to happen to this disfigured mill remnant until it became the property of the Nederweert notary J.M. Stassen. He had the mill restored at his own expense between 1979 and 1993, thus putting an almost lost monument back on the map. That meant a lot. Not only the stone hull had to be thoroughly restored, with the exception of the upper axle, everything is actually new.

Oliemolens.nl - Windlust - Nederweert
Oliemolens.nl - Windlust - Nederweert

From black to white

In the autumn of 2009, work began on the reconstruction of the oil hammer on the ground floor of this mill, based on what was found during excavations in the mill. This is done in close collaboration between the Adriaens mill and several technical schools in the region. In the summer of 2011 this work was ready for use.

In 2010 the mill hull was partially whitened. It was once completely tarred black. In the spring of 2022, both rods were lowered for inspection and the mill received a new tail beam.

Flags colored by children

When the sails on the blades were over 30 years old there were a few holes in them. Schoolchildren from the area colored flags attached to the sails with the colorful and unique result as you can see in the top photo on this page.

Mill The Windlust is the only windmill in Limburg that produces oil and is therefore unique in its kind. The conveyor belt and hammer bench with which this is done are in use more often. Millers show visitors around and let everyone experience how the oil butcher used to work with his impressive machine.

Oliemolens.nl - Windlust - Nederweert

Informatie

Address
Roeven 14
6031RN Nederweert
The Netherlands

Website
Molendatabase

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

De Ooievaar – English

De Ooievaar (stork)

De Ooievaar is one of the four oil mills of the De Zaansche Molen association. This oil mill, which has been in its current location since 1669, has a long history. In 1955, the dilapidated mill came into the possession of the association. After a thorough restoration, the mill was put back into use to demonstrate and preserve the oil-mining craft.

For many years now he has been proudly staring across the water of the Zaan at his neighbor across the street in Zaandijk: the flour mill De Bleeke Dood. Now that he plays regularly, it seems as if he wants to say: ‘That’s your name, dear neighbor, but I’m far from it!’

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

De Ooievaar wordt verplaatst

De Ooievaar was originally built in 1622 as an oil mill in Assendelft, but moved to its current location in 1669. This mill has stood proudly in the Zaan landscape for centuries, but is now surrounded by the Duyvis factory. The past and future side by side.

This means that access over public land is not possible. In 2015, after winning the mill prize, the harbor and crane corridor were brought back and the mill was completely restored again. Now there is the possibility to reach the mill via the water.

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

Grinding of shells and processing cocoa waste

In addition to oil beating, the mill has also been used for grinding shells and processing cocoa waste. Now oil is extracted from linseed again. During the last restoration, the original oil cellars were brought back. Not enough oil is minted to actually use it. Fittingly, Saendijck Windmill Factory is located in the mill barn.

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

Informatie

Address
Diederik Sonoyweg 19
1509BR Zaandam
The Netherlands

Website
De Zaansche Molen – De Ooievaar

Oliemolens.nl - Molen De Hoop - Oldebroek - Logo

Molen De Hoop – English

Molen De Hoop

Oliemolens.nl - Molen -De Hoop - Oldebroek

Flour mill, peel mill and oil mill

Molen De Hoop in Oldebroek is the only mill in the Netherlands with the function of Flour mill, peel mill and oil mill. Built in 1853 by Kornelis Blaauw. The oilworks were decommissioned around 1900 and the mill was no longer in use from the 1950s onwards. The arrival of diesel and electric engines meant that there was no longer any dependence on the wind.

Oliemolens.nl - Molen De Hoop - Oldebroek

Princess Beatrix

The interior of the mill has been restored since 2011. And in 2016, De Hoop was officially reopened by Princess Beatrix, in her role as patroness of the De Hollandsche Molen Association.

Oliemolens.nl - Molen De Hoop - Oldebroek

Edge stones

The oil work has been rebuilt as of 2019. The edge stones that were previously used in the outbuildings to make feed in the cattle feed mixing company were lying at the back of the garden waiting for reuse. And it worked.

Oliemolens.nl - Molen De Hoop - Oldebroek

Informatie

Adres
Zuiderzeestraatweg 252
8096CJ Oldebroek
The Netherlands

Website
Molen De Hoop

Oliemolens.nl - Rosmolen te Zieuwent - Arnhem- Logo

Rosoliemolen te Zieuwent – English

Oliemolens.nl - Rosmolen te Zieuwent - Arnhem

Rosoliemolen te Zieuwent

Antony Krabbenborg and son-in-law Harmen Harbers founded the mill in 1841. The mill stood in the yard of their farm ‘Groot Tilder’ in Zieuwent. The family also owned a windmill and  wealthy enough to make this investment.

After the division of the wastelands in 1832, the livestock in Zieuwent grew steadily. Turnip and line cakes were the only concentrated food available until the early twentieth century.

Due to the decline of the oil mills, petroleum was introduced instead of rapeseed oil, artificial fertilizer made it possible to grow other, more profitable crops and it was possible to purchase rapeseed cake from elsewhere via Boerenbond in Zieuwent.

Oliemolens.nl - Rosmolen te Zieuwent - Arnhem
Oliemolens.nl - Rosmolen te Zieuwent - Arnhem

Dutch Open Air Museum

In 1934 the horse mill was moved to the NOM (Dutch Open Air Museum). There it has been shown to visitors as a ‘silent presentation’ in its original state for more than 70 years. In 2003 it was decided to bring the mill back to life. Mill maker Vaags made a replica of the original and a new concrete foundation was placed under the impact block to absorb all the vibrations.

Oliemolens.nl - Rosmolen te Zieuwent - Arnhem

A-location in the NOM

The horse mill is now a so-called prime location in the NOM. Every day in the summer and winter season it is staffed by oil butchers who keep the craft alive and tell the story of the farmer’s oil mill. The oil is sold in the museum shop and the cakes are given away to visitors. With 550,000 visitors per year, a significant number of whom visit the horse mill, the craft is truly living history.

Oliemolens.nl - Rosmolen te Zieuwent - Arnhem

Informatie

Address
Hoeferlaan 4
6816SG Arnhem
The Netherlands

Website
Rosoliemolen te Zieuwent

Oliemolens.nl - Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt - Roderwolde (Noordenveld)-Logo

Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt – English

Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt

The location for the mill is mainly determined by the existing port of Roderwolde. Right opposite the harbor, the mill was built in 1852 and converted into an oil mill by millwright Jan van der Heide from Leek. The clients were the two brothers-in-law Datema and Aukema.

Thanks to the port, the supply of raw materials (line saw and later the grains to be milled) and the removal of the products could be ensured at this (as yet illogical location).

The eye-catching building was occupied by the miller in the right wing and by the mill hand in the left wing.

Oliemolens.nl - Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt - Roderwolde (Noordenveld)

Platten

On the miller’s side, under the floor of the so-called “platten”, 4 tiled oil cellars have been created, each with a capacity of 20,000 liters. These are interconnected and the oil produced in the deposit flowed directly into these cellars. There was a wooden pump in each cellar for later pumping up the oil.

A year after the foundation of Woldzigt (after the correct permit had been obtained), a pair of millstones was placed.

Oliemolens.nl - Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt - Roderwolde (Noordenveld)

Steam locomotive

In order to be able to produce even when there is no wind, a Deutz petroleum engine was installed around 1902. This was replaced around 1906 by a steam locomobile, followed in 1918 by a Heinrich Lanz locomobile. In old photos the chimney can still be seen behind the left wing of the mill complex.

From 1902 to 1919, the mill was owned by Jan Rietema from Leens, who acquired it at an auction.

Oliemolens.nl - Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt - Roderwolde (Noordenveld)

Coöperatieve Zuivelfabriek Roden-Zevenhuizen

In 1919, the Coöperatieve olieslagerij korenmalerij Woldzigt G.A. owner of the mill. Master servant Jan Faber became the manager at this time. In 1941, the oil mill was closed by order of the occupying forces and production was taken over by Unilever.

In 1945 the mill was taken over by the Coöperatieve Zuivelfabriek Roden-Zevenhuizen. Jan Faber was succeeded by Frederik van der Velde, who had worked at the mill since 1925. He was manager until October 31, 1961. In 1945 (when the Cooperative took over the mill) an electrically driven grinding chair with under-drive was placed at the bottom of the mill and the steam engine was demolished. Later this electric motor was also used to drive the oil stroke.

Oliemolens.nl - Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt - Roderwolde (Noordenveld)

Enthusiastic volunteer millers and oil butchers

Every first Saturday of the month and on special days, such as National Mill Day, Drenthe Mill Day and Open Monument Days, oil is still minted in Woldzigt by a group of enthusiastic volunteer millers and oil butchers. When there is insufficient wind, the old electric motor still performs its task.

The interior is still largely as it was built in 1852.

Roderwolde

Address
Hoofdstraat 58
9315PC Roderwolde
The Netherlands

Website
Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt

Oliemolens.nl - Oliemolen De Passiebloem - Zwolle - Logo

De Passiebloem – English

De Passiebloem (passionflower)

In 1775/1776, De Passiebloem oil mill on the Nieuwe Vecht was built by millwright Derk van Dam on behalf of Jeremias Frederik Abresch and Jan A. Ledeboer.

At the end of the 18th century, the De Hoop, De Fortuin and Aloe mills stood on the west side of the Nieuwe Vecht, and the Passiebloem and Roode Molen mills on the east side. Now only the Passion Flower remains of this oldest industrial area.

Oliemolens.nl - Oliemolen De Passiebloem - Zwolle

Preface and reference

The Passionflower is a thatched wooden octagon on a barn. In the barn you will find the oil factory, the wood store, a workshop and a small shop. The oil factory has a reference and a reference, both of which are still used. There is also a working model of an oil butcher’s shop. The original oil cellars have been preserved under the barn. In the past, the oil was stored here until the selling price was right.

The restoration

In 1932, the municipality of Zwolle purchased the land on which De Passiebloem stood and had the mill restored by unemployed people. The restoration was completed in 1937. The mill was then rented (again) to N.V. Reinders oil and feed factories.

The mill was restored in 1985 and continued to operate for the prince until October 1998. Since then, oil has been mined on a regular basis again by a group of enthusiastic volunteers. In connection with the wishes of a large customer of line cakes, the mill recently also has a cake crusher, currently only powered by manual power.

Informatie

Address
Vondelkade 175
8023AD Zwolle
The Netherlands

Website
De Passiebloem

Oliemolens.nl - De Kilsdonkse-Molen - Heeswijk - Dinther

De Kilsdonkse Molen – English

De Kilsdonkse Molen

De Kilsdonk mill has a long history. One that goes back to the Middle Ages. The main propulsion is water. Possibly, which almost never happens, it can also be driven by wind.

Oliemolens.nl - De Kilsdonkse Molen - Heeswijk-Dinther

The origin

Originally, De Kilsdonkse Molen consisted of two water mills. Only later did the unique combination of a water escape mill with a water mill emerge.

One mill equipped with a sail cross and water wheel and the other only with a water wheel: a corn and oil mill respectively.

The entire complex was destroyed by fire in 1842 and rebuilt in its current form that same year. In 1880, both water wheels were removed and corn could only be milled using wind power, after which it fell into disrepair.

The oil mill served as a home until 1954 and as a mill for the flour and corn trade of the Potters family until the end of the 20th century.

Oliemolens.nl - De Kilsdonkse Molen - Heeswijk-Dinther

Back in full glory

When research showed that it was possible to restore the mill to its original state, the mill came back to life. The restoration and reconstruction started in 2003, after which HRH Prince Johan Friso put the unique water escape mill into operation on May 8, 2009. Since then, the Netherlands and Europe have gained a unique mill complex with a visitor center.

Oliemolens.nl - De Kilsdonkse Molen - Heeswijk-Dinther

Informatie

Address
Kilsdonkseweg 4-6
5473KK Heeswijk Dinther
The Netherlands

Website
De Kilsdonkse Molen

Oliemolens.nl - Koren en Oliemolen de Phenix - Nes - Ameland - Logo

Koren- en Oliemolen ‘De Phenix’ – English

Koren- en Oliemolen ‘De Phenix’

Oliemolens.nl - Koren en Oliemolen de Phenix - Nes - Ameland

History

The predecessor of De Phenix was the De Hoop mill, which burned down in 1880 as a result of a lightning strike. That same year, the owner, Jan Pieters Boelens, had a new mill built by the mill builder Van der Meer brothers from Harlingen. This mill was given the name ‘Phenix’ (resurrected from the ashes).

The mill was built in 1880 on an elevated site on the north side of Nes. The mill is located on historic land, it has been 400 years since a patent was applied for to build a mill on this site. This octagonal top mill is the only ground sailor in Friesland and is also the northernmost mill in the Netherlands. The mill has been open to the public again since 1984.

Oliemolens.nl - Koren en Oliemolen de Phenix - Nes - Ameland

Conversion into the Phenix flour and oil mill

It soon became apparent that the mill was actually too small to be in operation and open to the public at the same time. In 2018 and 2019, the Phenix mill in Nes was thoroughly overhauled by ‘De Molenmakers’ from construction company Hiemstra from Tzummarrum. The mill was thoroughly restored and then thatcher Kleinjan from Den Ham provided the hull and hood with a new thatched roof.

Oliemolens.nl - Koren en Oliemolen de Phenix - Nes - Ameland

Underground visitors center

The second phase of the mill’s revitalization was the construction of an underground visitors center on the east side of the mill under the Mullesduun. The Molenmakers installed an oil mill in this underground part. Oil has been minted in Koren- en Oliemolen de Phenix since the beginning of 2022.

Oliemolens.nl - Koren en Oliemolen de Phenix - Nes - Ameland

Informatie

On Tuesdays and Saturdays, when there is sufficient wind, oil is struck in the mill. For delicious artisanal oil and other mill products, you can visit the mill shop.

Address
Molenweg 10
9163HP Nes (Ameland)
The Netherlands

Website
Amelander Musea