Oliemolens.nl - De Zoeker - Zaandam

De Zoeker – English

De Zoeker

De Zoeker oil mill was built in 1673. In 1925 the mill, standing in the open field near Zaandijk, was hit by a tornado. Thus, yet another mill was in danger of disappearing. In an attempt to save the mill, mill enthusiast Frans Mars called on Zaankanters to join together. Two weeks later, the De Zaansche Molen association was a fact and the mill was saved.

Oliemolens.nl - De Zoeker - Zaandam

From oil to cocoa waste

The Seeker has had various functions. Of course, as an oil mill for a very long time. After 1891, Dezoeker was converted into a paint mill. In 1912 the mill was also used for grinding shells and processing cocoa waste. This did not last long because in 1914 oil was struck again with the inner workings of the Wheel of Adventure. Until a tornado paralyzed the mill in 1925.

Oliemolens.nl - De Zoeker - Zaandam

World news

In 1968 the mill had to make way for a new residential area. A spectacular move to the Kalverringdijk on the Zaanse Schans followed. The move became world news, because the mill body was lifted in its entirety over the track. An Urban Legend has it that the two millwrights Nico Maas and Gerrit Smit had been inside the body and watched from behind a window!

Oliemolens.nl - De Zoeker - Zaandam

Peanut oil

Peanut oil is now minted almost every day at tDe Zoeker mill. This peanut oil, or arachis oil, is processed into consumer oil. This clear peanut oil has a high boiling point and is therefore ideal for stir-frying, baking and frying. Perfect for sauces, mayonnaise and dressings. Of course for sale at De Zaansche Molen.

Oliemolens.nl - De Zoeker - Zaandam

Informatie

Address
Kalverringdijk 31
1509BT Zaandam
The Netherlands

Website
De Zaansche Molen – De Zoeker

Oliemolens.nl - Het Pink - Koog aan de Zaan

Het Pink – English

Oliemolens.nl - Het Pink - Koog aan de Zaan

Het Pink

The oldest parts of the Het Pink oil mill in Koog aan de Zaan probably date from 1620. The original rocking mill was replaced in 1751 by an octagonal mill, which was placed on the original bottom square. Until 1931, Het Pink operated on wind power. After the death of owner Adriaan Honig in the same year, the mill stood still and fell into disrepair.

Oliemolens.nl - Het Pink - Koog aan de Zaan

In 1939 the mill was donated to De Zaansche Molen. The Gebroeders Husslage mill factory immediately started the restoration, the first major mill restoration in the Zaan region. After the official opening in September 1939, the mill was converted into a museum mill.

The mill would be opened for the first time on May 10, 1940. Especially for the opening, Frans Mars (founder of the association) had exhibited some of his work in the mill, and it was also decided to put the Pink in the traditional bridal dress for this occasion. The mill was decorated on May 8 and 9. The outbreak of the Second World War threw a spanner in the works and on May 10, the beautifully decorated mill was hastily stripped of its decoration.

Oliemolens.nl - Het Pink - Koog aan de Zaan

Planting seeds for future millers

Het Pink has an extensive history for the association. In addition to oil minting and receiving visitors, millers are also trained and there is a carpentry club for youth members. Here a seed is planted for future millperch (m/f). Youth education projects have also taken place in this special mill for many years. Like Kind in 1945, who asked the millwrights if they came to work in their wooden shoes.

Oliemolens.nl - Het Pink - Koog aan de Zaan

Informatie

Address
Pinkstraat 12
1541HD Koog aan de Zaan
The Netherlands

Website
De Zaansche Molen – Het Pink

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

De Bonte Hen – English

De Bonte Hen

Oil mill De Bonte Hen was probably built in 1693 on the spot where a sawmill named ‘t Hentje had previously stood. The mill still stands at that location on the Kalverringdijk on the Zaanse Schans.

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

From oil to cocoa

Since 1846, the Bonte Hen was owned by the company T. Crok from Koog aan de Zaan. Until 1912, the company used the mill as a test mill to determine how much oil a particular batch of seed contained. If the yield was sufficient, the batch was purchased and fully processed in the De Engel steam oil butchery. After 1912, the mill was rented out and mainly cocoa butter was minted.

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

In 1924 a diesel engine was installed in the mill and from 1927 the blades stopped working for good. The now dilapidated mill was demolished in 1935. The barn and basement remained and served as a warehouse. In 1973, the dilapidated mill barn and substructure were purchased by De Zaansche Molen. The Bonte Hen was then completely rebuilt and restored. The official commissioning followed in 1979.

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

This mill is currently open almost every day (slightly less in winter) and Jippe Kreuning is the head miller. He also has his sail making workshop in the attic of the barn. A beautiful craft.

Informatie

Address
Kalverringdijk 39
1509 BT Zaandam
The Netherlands

Website
De Zaansche Molen – De Bonte Hen

Oliemolens.nl-Holten's Molen-Deurne

Holten’s Molen – English

Holten’s Molen

Holten’s Molen in Deurne is a mill with three functions that was and is still used as a small-scale village business. Milling is done for bakers, families and mill shops, and oil is minted for painters of wood and metal. And trees are sawn in the sawmill to be processed into benches and tables. The mill used to belong to the Holten family and since 1993 it has belonged to a foundation with about 25 volunteers.

Oil mill history

A few years after the construction of the mill in 1890, Louis Holten, builder-owner, took over the furnishings of the oil mill from the estate of a water mill in Horst. This was placed at the bottom of the mill. After a short interruption, the oil work was in use until 1940. The drive was then also provided by a Deutch engine. After 1945 the oil work was demolished. An edge stone  was placed against the belt. In the early 1950s, milling also stopped and the sawmill continued. The mill fell into disrepair and the municipality even applied for a demolition permit in 1989.

Oliemolens.nl-Holten's Molen-Deurne

Restorations

A number of mill enthusiasts then bought the mill from the municipality in 1993 to renovate it and turn it into a working mill in the state of 1900. When it reopened in 1998, grinding and oil extraction brought the mill back to life. . Some parts of the old oil mill have been reused. The tracks in the mill and the remains of the old oil mill were the basis for the reconstruction. The beating bench and edge stones came from the Wanroy horse mill and were indispensable. It is a simple farmer’s percussion.

Oliemolens.nl-Holten's Molen-Deurne

Volunteers

The employees of the various activities of Holten’s Molen are all volunteers: board members, the milling team, the oil butchers, shop ladies, the sawyers and the volunteers for educational purposes. Almost everyone can help with other activities. This allows e.g. excursions for young and old with varying guides and millers are carried out. The explanation and demonstration of oil striking is an important part of this. This way the stories about the old technology come back to life. The production of linseed oil is carried out on a few days during the week. This can be done with an auxiliary motor or with the wind.

Oliemolens.nl-Holten's Molen-Deurne

Informatie

Address
Veldstraat  39
5751AA Deurne
The Netherlands

Website
Holtens Molen

Oliemolens.nl - Windlust - Nederweert

De Windlust – English

Oliemolens.nl - Windlust - Nederweert

De Windlust

De windmill was founded in 1872 by Jacobus Bruekers in Nederweert, after which the mill successively fell into the hands of Martinus Bruekers from about 1880. The fact that this mill is still there, or rather, is standing again, is actually a miracle. On October 5, 1944, the mill was virtually destroyed after it was set on fire by a German shock troop. The remains of the interior were removed in 1947. What remained was a burnt out and damaged hull.

Nothing seemed to happen to this disfigured mill remnant until it became the property of the Nederweert notary J.M. Stassen. He had the mill restored at his own expense between 1979 and 1993, thus putting an almost lost monument back on the map. That meant a lot. Not only the stone hull had to be thoroughly restored, with the exception of the upper axle, everything is actually new.

Oliemolens.nl - Windlust - Nederweert
Oliemolens.nl - Windlust - Nederweert

From black to white

In the autumn of 2009, work began on the reconstruction of the oil hammer on the ground floor of this mill, based on what was found during excavations in the mill. This is done in close collaboration between the Adriaens mill and several technical schools in the region. In the summer of 2011 this work was ready for use.

In 2010 the mill hull was partially whitened. It was once completely tarred black. In the spring of 2022, both rods were lowered for inspection and the mill received a new tail beam.

Flags colored by children

When the sails on the blades were over 30 years old there were a few holes in them. Schoolchildren from the area colored flags attached to the sails with the colorful and unique result as you can see in the top photo on this page.

Mill The Windlust is the only windmill in Limburg that produces oil and is therefore unique in its kind. The conveyor belt and hammer bench with which this is done are in use more often. Millers show visitors around and let everyone experience how the oil butcher used to work with his impressive machine.

Oliemolens.nl - Windlust - Nederweert

Informatie

Address
Roeven 14
6031RN Nederweert
The Netherlands

Website
Molendatabase

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

De Ooievaar – English

De Ooievaar (stork)

De Ooievaar is one of the four oil mills of the De Zaansche Molen association. This oil mill, which has been in its current location since 1669, has a long history. In 1955, the dilapidated mill came into the possession of the association. After a thorough restoration, the mill was put back into use to demonstrate and preserve the oil-mining craft.

For many years now he has been proudly staring across the water of the Zaan at his neighbor across the street in Zaandijk: the flour mill De Bleeke Dood. Now that he plays regularly, it seems as if he wants to say: ‘That’s your name, dear neighbor, but I’m far from it!’

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

De Ooievaar wordt verplaatst

De Ooievaar was originally built in 1622 as an oil mill in Assendelft, but moved to its current location in 1669. This mill has stood proudly in the Zaan landscape for centuries, but is now surrounded by the Duyvis factory. The past and future side by side.

This means that access over public land is not possible. In 2015, after winning the mill prize, the harbor and crane corridor were brought back and the mill was completely restored again. Now there is the possibility to reach the mill via the water.

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

Grinding of shells and processing cocoa waste

In addition to oil beating, the mill has also been used for grinding shells and processing cocoa waste. Now oil is extracted from linseed again. During the last restoration, the original oil cellars were brought back. Not enough oil is minted to actually use it. Fittingly, Saendijck Windmill Factory is located in the mill barn.

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

Informatie

Address
Diederik Sonoyweg 19
1509BR Zaandam
The Netherlands

Website
De Zaansche Molen – De Ooievaar

Oliemolens.nl - Molen De Hoop - Oldebroek - Logo

Molen De Hoop – English

Molen De Hoop

Oliemolens.nl - Molen -De Hoop - Oldebroek

Flour mill, peel mill and oil mill

Molen De Hoop in Oldebroek is the only mill in the Netherlands with the function of Flour mill, peel mill and oil mill. Built in 1853 by Kornelis Blaauw. The oilworks were decommissioned around 1900 and the mill was no longer in use from the 1950s onwards. The arrival of diesel and electric engines meant that there was no longer any dependence on the wind.

Oliemolens.nl - Molen De Hoop - Oldebroek

Princess Beatrix

The interior of the mill has been restored since 2011. And in 2016, De Hoop was officially reopened by Princess Beatrix, in her role as patroness of the De Hollandsche Molen Association.

Oliemolens.nl - Molen De Hoop - Oldebroek

Edge stones

The oil work has been rebuilt as of 2019. The edge stones that were previously used in the outbuildings to make feed in the cattle feed mixing company were lying at the back of the garden waiting for reuse. And it worked.

Oliemolens.nl - Molen De Hoop - Oldebroek

Informatie

Adres
Zuiderzeestraatweg 252
8096CJ Oldebroek
The Netherlands

Website
Molen De Hoop

Oliemolens.nl - Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt - Roderwolde (Noordenveld)-Logo

Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt – English

Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt

The location for the mill is mainly determined by the existing port of Roderwolde. Right opposite the harbor, the mill was built in 1852 and converted into an oil mill by millwright Jan van der Heide from Leek. The clients were the two brothers-in-law Datema and Aukema.

Thanks to the port, the supply of raw materials (line saw and later the grains to be milled) and the removal of the products could be ensured at this (as yet illogical location).

The eye-catching building was occupied by the miller in the right wing and by the mill hand in the left wing.

Oliemolens.nl - Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt - Roderwolde (Noordenveld)

Platten

On the miller’s side, under the floor of the so-called “platten”, 4 tiled oil cellars have been created, each with a capacity of 20,000 liters. These are interconnected and the oil produced in the deposit flowed directly into these cellars. There was a wooden pump in each cellar for later pumping up the oil.

A year after the foundation of Woldzigt (after the correct permit had been obtained), a pair of millstones was placed.

Oliemolens.nl - Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt - Roderwolde (Noordenveld)

Steam locomotive

In order to be able to produce even when there is no wind, a Deutz petroleum engine was installed around 1902. This was replaced around 1906 by a steam locomobile, followed in 1918 by a Heinrich Lanz locomobile. In old photos the chimney can still be seen behind the left wing of the mill complex.

From 1902 to 1919, the mill was owned by Jan Rietema from Leens, who acquired it at an auction.

Oliemolens.nl - Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt - Roderwolde (Noordenveld)

Coöperatieve Zuivelfabriek Roden-Zevenhuizen

In 1919, the Coöperatieve olieslagerij korenmalerij Woldzigt G.A. owner of the mill. Master servant Jan Faber became the manager at this time. In 1941, the oil mill was closed by order of the occupying forces and production was taken over by Unilever.

In 1945 the mill was taken over by the Coöperatieve Zuivelfabriek Roden-Zevenhuizen. Jan Faber was succeeded by Frederik van der Velde, who had worked at the mill since 1925. He was manager until October 31, 1961. In 1945 (when the Cooperative took over the mill) an electrically driven grinding chair with under-drive was placed at the bottom of the mill and the steam engine was demolished. Later this electric motor was also used to drive the oil stroke.

Oliemolens.nl - Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt - Roderwolde (Noordenveld)

Enthusiastic volunteer millers and oil butchers

Every first Saturday of the month and on special days, such as National Mill Day, Drenthe Mill Day and Open Monument Days, oil is still minted in Woldzigt by a group of enthusiastic volunteer millers and oil butchers. When there is insufficient wind, the old electric motor still performs its task.

The interior is still largely as it was built in 1852.

Roderwolde

Address
Hoofdstraat 58
9315PC Roderwolde
The Netherlands

Website
Olie- en korenmolen Woldzigt

Oliemolens.nl - Koren en Oliemolen de Phenix - Nes - Ameland - Logo

Koren- en Oliemolen ‘De Phenix’ – English

Koren- en Oliemolen ‘De Phenix’

Oliemolens.nl - Koren en Oliemolen de Phenix - Nes - Ameland

History

The predecessor of De Phenix was the De Hoop mill, which burned down in 1880 as a result of a lightning strike. That same year, the owner, Jan Pieters Boelens, had a new mill built by the mill builder Van der Meer brothers from Harlingen. This mill was given the name ‘Phenix’ (resurrected from the ashes).

The mill was built in 1880 on an elevated site on the north side of Nes. The mill is located on historic land, it has been 400 years since a patent was applied for to build a mill on this site. This octagonal top mill is the only ground sailor in Friesland and is also the northernmost mill in the Netherlands. The mill has been open to the public again since 1984.

Oliemolens.nl - Koren en Oliemolen de Phenix - Nes - Ameland

Conversion into the Phenix flour and oil mill

It soon became apparent that the mill was actually too small to be in operation and open to the public at the same time. In 2018 and 2019, the Phenix mill in Nes was thoroughly overhauled by ‘De Molenmakers’ from construction company Hiemstra from Tzummarrum. The mill was thoroughly restored and then thatcher Kleinjan from Den Ham provided the hull and hood with a new thatched roof.

Oliemolens.nl - Koren en Oliemolen de Phenix - Nes - Ameland

Underground visitors center

The second phase of the mill’s revitalization was the construction of an underground visitors center on the east side of the mill under the Mullesduun. The Molenmakers installed an oil mill in this underground part. Oil has been minted in Koren- en Oliemolen de Phenix since the beginning of 2022.

Oliemolens.nl - Koren en Oliemolen de Phenix - Nes - Ameland

Informatie

On Tuesdays and Saturdays, when there is sufficient wind, oil is struck in the mill. For delicious artisanal oil and other mill products, you can visit the mill shop.

Address
Molenweg 10
9163HP Nes (Ameland)
The Netherlands

Website
Amelander Musea

Oliemolens.nl - De Wachter - Zuidlaren - Logo

De Wachter – English

De Wachter (guardian)

De Wachter corn and oil mill in Zuidlaren was built in 1851 by the Van Bon family from Midlaren. The flour mill, an octagonal mill, is a combined flour and oil mill. This means that not only was grain milled there, but there was also an oil mill. Both were powered by wind power.

In 1895 the mill was purchased by the Medendorp family from Zuidlaren. Medendorp was progressive and modernized. The mill was expanded in 1898 with a spice mill. Because bread had to be on the table even in windless weather, two steam engines were built that same year. One generated electricity for the oil mill, the other powered the spice mill via transmission belts. From 1906 the oil wringers were also driven with this.

De Wachter thus received the first steam-driven energy supply. Very special at that time, because the village of Zuidlaren did not receive electricity until 1921. In 1923, the mill switched to electricity from the public grid in Zuidlaren and the steam engines were decommissioned. The mill remained dependent on the wind for grinding grain.

Oliemolens.nl - De Wachter - Zuidlaren

Decline of mills

In the 1930s, many Dutch mills had to stop competing with the industry and fell into disrepair. Of the approximately ten thousand mills in the Netherlands, there are still about a thousand left today, of which only five hundred are capable of grinding. This is how “De Wachter” also fell into disrepair. In the 1920s, the oil mill and the spice mill were closed and many parts of the mill were demolished, including the steam engines. In 1950, miller Medendorp also decided to shut down the flour mill. The end for “The Wachter” then seems near.

Oliemolens.nl - De Wachter - Zuidlaren

Restoration, a long-term matter

Jan Medendorp’s grandson, J.D. (Diek) Medendorp, transferred the mill to the Koren- en Oliemolen “De Wachter” Foundation in 1989. This foundation has further restored the mill and brought back the original steam drive. An initial expansion with a bakery and bakery shop has made it possible to make the entire process “From wheat to bread” visible. Several (working) steam engines were subsequently installed. A number of village professions and crafts (blacksmith, clog maker, adjuster, shoemaker, farmer) have now been brought together in a second extension. There is also a large collection of utensils (farm, tools, household) on display. This means that De Wachter is now much more than a mill. Museum de Wachter has grown into a true experience park for young and old.

Oliemolens.nl - De Wachter - Zuidlaren

The oil mill in operation

A large group of volunteers works in and out of season to preserve the cultural history and craftsmanship of “De Wachter” and make it accessible to current and future generations.

Informatie

Address
Bolwerk 11
9471AT Zuidlaren
The Netherlands

Website
De Wachter