Oliemolens.nl - De Zoeker - Zaandam

De Zoeker – English

De Zoeker

De Zoeker oil mill was built in 1673. In 1925 the mill, standing in the open field near Zaandijk, was hit by a tornado. Thus, yet another mill was in danger of disappearing. In an attempt to save the mill, mill enthusiast Frans Mars called on Zaankanters to join together. Two weeks later, the De Zaansche Molen association was a fact and the mill was saved.

Oliemolens.nl - De Zoeker - Zaandam

From oil to cocoa waste

The Seeker has had various functions. Of course, as an oil mill for a very long time. After 1891, Dezoeker was converted into a paint mill. In 1912 the mill was also used for grinding shells and processing cocoa waste. This did not last long because in 1914 oil was struck again with the inner workings of the Wheel of Adventure. Until a tornado paralyzed the mill in 1925.

Oliemolens.nl - De Zoeker - Zaandam

World news

In 1968 the mill had to make way for a new residential area. A spectacular move to the Kalverringdijk on the Zaanse Schans followed. The move became world news, because the mill body was lifted in its entirety over the track. An Urban Legend has it that the two millwrights Nico Maas and Gerrit Smit had been inside the body and watched from behind a window!

Oliemolens.nl - De Zoeker - Zaandam

Peanut oil

Peanut oil is now minted almost every day at tDe Zoeker mill. This peanut oil, or arachis oil, is processed into consumer oil. This clear peanut oil has a high boiling point and is therefore ideal for stir-frying, baking and frying. Perfect for sauces, mayonnaise and dressings. Of course for sale at De Zaansche Molen.

Oliemolens.nl - De Zoeker - Zaandam

Informatie

Address
Kalverringdijk 31
1509BT Zaandam
The Netherlands

Website
De Zaansche Molen – De Zoeker

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

De Bonte Hen – English

De Bonte Hen

Oil mill De Bonte Hen was probably built in 1693 on the spot where a sawmill named ‘t Hentje had previously stood. The mill still stands at that location on the Kalverringdijk on the Zaanse Schans.

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

From oil to cocoa

Since 1846, the Bonte Hen was owned by the company T. Crok from Koog aan de Zaan. Until 1912, the company used the mill as a test mill to determine how much oil a particular batch of seed contained. If the yield was sufficient, the batch was purchased and fully processed in the De Engel steam oil butchery. After 1912, the mill was rented out and mainly cocoa butter was minted.

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

In 1924 a diesel engine was installed in the mill and from 1927 the blades stopped working for good. The now dilapidated mill was demolished in 1935. The barn and basement remained and served as a warehouse. In 1973, the dilapidated mill barn and substructure were purchased by De Zaansche Molen. The Bonte Hen was then completely rebuilt and restored. The official commissioning followed in 1979.

Oliemolens.nl - De Bonte Hen - Zaandam

This mill is currently open almost every day (slightly less in winter) and Jippe Kreuning is the head miller. He also has his sail making workshop in the attic of the barn. A beautiful craft.

Informatie

Address
Kalverringdijk 39
1509 BT Zaandam
The Netherlands

Website
De Zaansche Molen – De Bonte Hen

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

De Ooievaar – English

De Ooievaar (stork)

De Ooievaar is one of the four oil mills of the De Zaansche Molen association. This oil mill, which has been in its current location since 1669, has a long history. In 1955, the dilapidated mill came into the possession of the association. After a thorough restoration, the mill was put back into use to demonstrate and preserve the oil-mining craft.

For many years now he has been proudly staring across the water of the Zaan at his neighbor across the street in Zaandijk: the flour mill De Bleeke Dood. Now that he plays regularly, it seems as if he wants to say: ‘That’s your name, dear neighbor, but I’m far from it!’

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

De Ooievaar wordt verplaatst

De Ooievaar was originally built in 1622 as an oil mill in Assendelft, but moved to its current location in 1669. This mill has stood proudly in the Zaan landscape for centuries, but is now surrounded by the Duyvis factory. The past and future side by side.

This means that access over public land is not possible. In 2015, after winning the mill prize, the harbor and crane corridor were brought back and the mill was completely restored again. Now there is the possibility to reach the mill via the water.

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

Grinding of shells and processing cocoa waste

In addition to oil beating, the mill has also been used for grinding shells and processing cocoa waste. Now oil is extracted from linseed again. During the last restoration, the original oil cellars were brought back. Not enough oil is minted to actually use it. Fittingly, Saendijck Windmill Factory is located in the mill barn.

Oliemolens.nl - De Ooievaar - Zaandam

Informatie

Address
Diederik Sonoyweg 19
1509BR Zaandam
The Netherlands

Website
De Zaansche Molen – De Ooievaar